Friday, January 9th, Megan had to go to PCMC for major dental work. She had to have crown, root canals, and cavities filled. There was so much work to be done, that the pediatric dentist preferred to have her at the hospital and to put her under general anesthesia. We arrived at PCMC at 9:30 am, checked in, and then began the waiting game! Her original time to be taken back to the operating room was 11:30 am however the patient before her had a lot more work that needed to be done than anticipated so I was told about a half hour behind. Well, 12:00 came and went and then I was told maybe another 30 minutes. It ended up being 1:00 pm when Megan was taken back and the work began. Megan was such a trooper. There was only one time in the entire day that she got nervous. When we were walking into the hospital she got a bit nervous and wanted to go home. She got over that and didn't look back. She had a lot of play/wait time so the nurses had to keep finding different things for her to do. There was a Childlife Specialist there, Bel, and she was great. They got to play doctor on their hospital buddies, she played with Care Bears, My Little Pony's, colored, made a sticker book, there was a lot to do. When it came time to take the medicine, the first dose that relaxes them, she didn't even hesitate...she took it all with a lot of other people watching. I was just shocked! After she took that medicine she had to stay in the wagon because she would get weak and dizzy. She was so funny. She knew the medicine was supposed to make her dizzy so she pretended that she was dizzy and would fall down in the wagon so dramatically. Then the medicine really started working. We walked her back a little bit and then gave kisses and she was gone. I was really quite proud of myself because I didn't loose it! We were fortunate enough to have Ryan's brother, Rob who is a dentist, scrub in with the pediatric dentist. It was really comforting for me to know that Uncle Rob was there making sure she was ok! Right as there were done, Rob called me to let me know everything was done and all went well. Then the pediatric dentist, Dr. Stewart came and talked to me about everything and how great Megan did. After that I was able to go see her and be with her while she was waking up. It took her awhile to wake up and become coherent, so I just watched her sleep for a bit. After awhile, she became more aware and she informed me she was ready to go home! We worked on getting things together and then a short time later we were on our way; at 5:30 pm! Needless to say it was a long day, but I could not have been more proud of my little girl. In fact, on the way home, I looked at her in the rear view mirror and started to cry because I was just so incredibly proud of how well she did. That night and this weekend she did great too. I did learn through this whole thing that I am so grateful that she was there only for dental work; I met quite a few people who were there for much more serious issues. I told them that I will take her dental work and be happy with that.









6 comments:
Well, that's a lot of posts to comment on, but it looks like it's been an eventful few weeks. I hate hospitals, and they always make you wait! Your holidays looked fun - it's been a long time since I've seen all your family!
What a trooper. Root canals and crowns SUCK. That is great that she did so well with them.
Morgan told me she had been in the hospital. I am glad it was nothing too serious. What a day. Wow. I hope you have recovered!
Those are great pictures--and I love your new background--it's to fancy!
It is sad and scary no matter what the reason is to take your child to the hospital. Glad everything went well.
That's quite a day for you and your little one. The Childlife specialist at Primary's are amazing, and we still have our Buddy bear! Glad to hear that it went well.
That's quite a day for you and your little one. The Childlife specialist at Primary's are amazing, and we still have our Buddy bear! Glad to hear that it went well.
Post a Comment