Tuesday, August 5, 2008
Terrible 5's?
Okay, I have heard of the terrible two's, but the terrible five's? Honestly, I am at the end of my rope with my little gal. She is very stubborn, yet very sweet. She goes from one extreme to another. Take last night for example...we get home from work/sitter, Ryan got home as we were unloading the car. M was totally fine, chatting with her dad and me. Then she wanted to go visit her friend next door who had surgery last week on her jaw due to a terrible accident. I was going to go with her and asked Ryan to come too, well M didn't want him to go so she started to throw a fit and then I decided I wasn't going either. I told her to be kind and that we could all go - her reply: NO NO NO! Then the tears and screaming started, then she was sent to her room, and more screaming. A few minutes went by and of course, she fell asleep. AGHHH!!! What to do! Then I wake her up so we can go to the grocery store and my sweet angel was back. I don't know what to do at this point. I love the girl to pieces, but man can she really throw those fits. When her fits start, I loose it and then we are both upset. I have been trying really hard to stay calm and try to reason, but can anyone reason with a 5 year old that is just like yourself? They always say that you get what you gave to your parents, mom and dad - I am sorry! I know I was a brat, but this early...really??? So, if there is any great wisdom that I am missing, please share; I will take all the help I can get...I have another one I will have to deal with in 5 years!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Our son has a mood disorder that is comorbid with adhd, as well sensory processing dysfunction that was thought a while back to be high fuctioning Autism. Talk about needing patience. He is such a roller coaster of emotions and has a lot of behavioral issues. He will go days with four hours of sleep or less, and when he's having a difficult time he will yell, hit, bite, and scream. Needless to say - Ryan and I have learned more patience in the past five years than anyone could in a life time.
Poor kid. He's 5 and oh-so feisty. He is also incredibly bright for his age - and from what I've read thus far, it seems that your little one is as well. The intelligent ones will always give us a run for our $$$! They have bargaining skills that I could only wish for, and are insistent upon getting their way. (Uh-oh, they might actually be smarter than we are.)
As far as fits and unwanted behaviors - There is a great book (don't laugh) called 1-2-3 Magic, and if followed accurately and given a chance it can be very effective in alleviating those unwanted behaviors, as well as helping parents maintain effective and emotionless discipline.
The two biggest rules of parenting that we have learned thus far are - Less Talk, Less Emotion (and unfortunately, consistency in that motto).
Good Luck guys - she's beautiful, and I'm sure she'll be at the top of her Kindergarten class!
Anna,
I am so glad that you found me. I love your blog. It is so great to see pictures of your family. We just love and miss you and your family so much! I told my mom and Jamie hi from you. They were so excited. I am happy that I can now see what is happening with your life too!
my email is jbelka@jtsteel.com when you go private.
Love ya!
Janelle
Anna,
Deep breaths and time outs for you and her. That is what I suggest. It is a learning process. Work through it, the fits will get fewer and farther between.I try to take the advise from the scriptures. This is paraphrased, Disipline when needed and after show forth an increase of love. I have felt that same frustration many times. Your not alone!
My e-mail is shelicans23@yahoo.com
Good Luck
Hey! It was so good to hear from you! Your blog is adorable...cute little family! Keep in touch!
Tamara
Post a Comment